Here come the holidays! And while I LOVE LOVE LOVE the holiday season with all of the joy and merriment that comes with it…holy crap, your wallet and bank account take a serious beating.
This year, given my maternity leave, I am *trying* to be more budget conscious (insert husband chuckle here). Instead of buying gifts for colleagues, friends and family this year – I thought I’d try my hand at some DIY gifts! I should mention, I am SO NOT a DIY-er…I mean who has the time?!? Well, apparently, this year – I do! Aside from a newborn and a toddler, I find myself with a bit more time on my hands to cook, bake and do “craft-y” things.
Among all of my adventures in DIY gifts was making my own holiday granola. I’m happy to report – SUCCESS! I combined a few recipes I found online to perfect my own version of holiday granola which included a combination of pecans and almonds, but I also added a bit of flax and coconut for some added nutritional benefit. YUM!
PS this recipe is vegan and gluten free (provided you use GF oats)
Here is the recipe. ENJOY!
2.5 cups of GF rolled oats
¾ cup slivered almonds
½ cup chopped pecans
½ tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 tbsp ground flax
¼ c shredded unsweetened coconut
¼ cup melted coconut oil
¼ tsp almond extract
1 tbsp vanilla extract
½ cup Thompson raisins
½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Toss oats, flax, pecans, almonds, cinnamon, coconut in large bowl and set aside
- Combine maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla and almond extract in medium bowl. Whisk together.
- Pour liquid mixture over dry mixture. Make sure oats are completely coated and moistened.
- Spread evenly onto baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool completely once evenly browned.
- Add cranberries and raisins to mixture once cooled.
Usually makes about 3-4 cups.
It is so easy to make this granola ahead of time and store in airtight container for freshness for up to 3 weeks. I boxed my granola up into cute little holiday tins and little baggies for colleagues and friends. Delicious gift giving complete!